Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Finishing It Up Friday

Today I am joining Carla at Crazy Mama Quilts.  She has a fun new linky on Friday where we quiltin' ladies post and link up quilts we finished this week.

Here's mine.  And can I say I love it . . .

I do have to say I am embarrased at how long it took to finish! 
I began this quilt; pieced and had it long arm quilted in the 80's!  I was so unhappy with the quilting that it got put away.    We ended up moving shortly afterward.  It was meant to hang on the wall in my entryway then when we moved I just never finished it.  ( The original pattern called for 1 1/2" strips. I cut mine 2 1/2" so it would fit on my wall. )


Well now I have a 3 year old grandson and I decided it was time to finish it!

You probably won't believe this but back in the 80's when I pieced it I had a hard time finding orange fabric.  This is what I came up with.  The darkest one is a Jenny Byer.   I have a few scraps that made the many moves since piecing and finishing and I didn't remember to check for any other selvages to write this post.   The eyes on the Jack o Latern; I am not real happy with and will probably change.  Also the nose and the ghosts eyes are felt because I couldn't find my wool.  Felt is a bad choice it sheds all over the white.  I found my wool and did the ghosts mouth.  I like it much better!  I will probably change the felt pieces to wool. 

I really like the binding.  I like the color changes.  I am really liking these kinds of bindings.  I did make a huge mistake on it though.  You see I haven't done bindings in a loooong time and I went to the original pattern instructions because that is what I had out. (I live in a one bedroom apartment. I sew in the bedroom.  You should see under my bed! I'll save that for another post.  This one is scary enough!)   The instructions said cut strips 1 1/2" huge mistake in my opinion.  I didn't realize my mistake until I had cut alot and I didn't have much orange left so I had to go with it.  It took much longer to bind that it would have I think I had been able to fold the binding in half. 
But all in all even though there numerous mistakes (another post soon to share all that) or things I would have changed I love it now that it is done! 

If you are a quilter or a lover of quilts you must visit Carla and look at all the quilts on the linky.  I have spent the week just going by and looking at all the amazing quilts!  You'll love your visit I am sure.   And I just found another Friday sewing link at Amy  Lou Who check out her linky party.  Click here.



And I am joining Sarah over at Cofessions of a Fabric Addict (because I am one too.) And because she called her link up Whoop! Whoop! Because I finally finished this quilt! Click here to visit her blog and see her amazing photography and quilts and link up!



Thanks for joining the Journey today!

10 comments:

AnneMarie said...

That is a SUPER cute quilt!!! I saw your comment come through and I just wanted to let you know what the Spooky Quilt Contest was held last year in 2010. Sorry! I did not get to organizing it again this year.

Leslie said...

oh my goodness that ghost is too cute

Cathy said...

That is such a fun quilt!!! congrats on the finish.

Becky said...

That quilt is AWESOME! Orange is still hard to find, but not nearly as hard. Too bad about the binding snafu. 3 inches, folded in half is my favorite way!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is adorable!!!Glad you finished it!!

Sarah Craig said...

I'm so glad you stopped by and linked up with this adorable quilt! I know it took a long time to get done but I think it was worth it!! Whoop whoop!!!! Hope to see you next week!!

Sue Daurio said...

That was really really cute!! Made me giggle with that one.

Kristen said...

Really cute quilt! I love the scrappy binding and those great faces.

Jen said...

This is awesome, my kids would love this for Halloween!!

Heather said...

SO cute!! Congratulations on getting it done! (The timing couldn't have been more perfect, really.) Have a happy Halloween! :o)